Wednesday, January 2, 2013

polar express experience

We took a trip to the North Pole on the Grand Canyon Polar Express this year. The boys were over the moon about seeing where the elves live and meeting the REAL Santa Claus. 

We bundled up and celebrated being in cold weather for a change by having a snowball fight. It turned in to more of an ice block fight which I tried breaking up several times but the boys were determined to knock each other out with the biggest solid chunk of ice they could find. Boys!!




 The entire Nielsen clan came along for the train ride. We were happy to spend more time with them before we headed out to California for Christmas.

We boarded the train and found our seats. 
Here are the boys in their warm Santa jammies. Ignore the face of the child who looks like he belongs on the naughty list. Little stinker. 

Cookies and hot chocolate were served to everyone. We sang Christmas carols, and listened to the Polar Express book read throughout the train.


 Grandpa Nielsen with his granddaughters

Grandma Nielsen with energetic Zach

Reaching the North Pole we drove through Santa's town where we saw Santa and his elf on the sleigh being pulled by the reindeer. 

Then Santa boarded the train. So exciting for the kids. 

He made his way through the train and handed each child a Christmas bell.


I think he's a believer.

For the boys, the experience was magical. 
(For me...well, it was chaotic and crowded, and let's just say by the end of the train ride I wanted to pull all my hair out or scream at anyone who touched me... to put it lightly. ha ha, wish I were joking) 
But the boys loved the whole thing and that's what's important, right? 
Just don't ask me to go again next year. 

We drove a few extra hours west to shave some time off our drive to CA the following day. By the time we made it to the Hotel the boys were all conked out. 


Honestly, it was a great start to such a wonderful Christmas vacation.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Haha, I love this! My favorite parts are the pic of Johnny on the train where you can see his little toesies through a hole in his sock (so cute) and the part about you wanting to scream and rip your hair out. Because just reading about it I could feel those same feelings bubbling up inside me. Only mother's know that feeling. Especially mothers of active boys :)

Michelle said...

So cute! My kids have been wanting to do something like this. Maybe next year we'll (I'll) work up the nerve :)

The Yuan Fam said...

What a fun trip!! I totally get the magical feeling for the kids but insanity for the adults. It must have been crazy. Way to go taking one for the team ;-). You look great and I hope the holidays were wonderful for you!!!