I used to secretly roll my eyes at moms who carried on and on about how special their kids are.
Comments like, "My not-yet two-year-old potty trained himself in one day," or "my three-year-old is already reading at a third grade level," or "my little one can recite the declaration of independence while hopping on one foot and balancing a spinning basketball on their finger."
(ok, that last one was a little over the top, but you get my point)
Listening to these comments I'd think to myself, "I get it. Your kid is amazing, exceptional, one of a kind."
Last week Jonny's kindergarten class put on a Thanksgiving play. Jonny enthusiastically played the role of a Thanksgiving Turkey. Watching him, I must have looked like a ridiculous overly-proud mama with the huge grin planted on my face during the entire performance. To me, Jonny's turkey 'strut' and well-rehearsed 'gobble' were hands down the cutest of all the other fellow turkeys. I was beaming with pride for my five-year-old thespian.
What I'm trying to say is, I'm guilty.
I've become one of those moms who swells with pride over the accomplishments of her children, whether big or small. When they impress me with their talents, intelligence or kindness I immediately want to share with someone else. The obnoxious over-the-top cheerleader I was in highschool returns in the form of a wide-hipped mama whenever Jonny scores a soccer goal, or Zach remembers to share with his brother, or Dean pees on the potty. I can't help myself.
And that's ok. Actually, it's important. It makes sense that as moms we naturally feel this amazement with our own children. Because in their own way, each IS special, having come to us with unique talents and gifts. And as long as I recognize that their innate abilities have come from somewhere beyond my parenting,
I am giving myself permission to beam and swell and cheer at the goodness that makes
my little ones who they are.
And I'm sure an occasional pat on my own back wouldn't hurt. ;)
4 comments:
I miss you so much Michelle! And your little family too! Please tell me next time you are in town. I am so proud of your boys, and I totally get what you are saying. I get so proud of Tommy when he is nice to Charlie, and when he does things that are especially "cute" or "smart". In this crazy world, our boys need the confirmation from their mothers that they are AWESOME.
I love this well-written, witty-yet-sincere, overall lovely piece on how the perspective of parenting evolves through gradual maternal maturing. What I get most from this is that I married the right person. Love you, Babe ;)
Dude, I miss you.
And also: seriously? Your kids are the cutest! Love that Jonny is so comfortable in front of people, that Dean pees on the potty, and Zach can share! Amazing. Cheer them loud and proud, Mama!
Hi Michelle!!!! I lost many of my friends' blogs and I'm thrilled I've found yours (probably how I find everyone's these days, stalking!). Isn't it great how our kids make us so proud by doing very simple, little things??! I know my kids surprise me everyday by doing the hopping-on-one-foot-reciting-stuff thing ;-). JK, I'm just happy they brush their teeth in the morning!!! Hope you're well!!
Post a Comment