About a week ago, having returned from our week vacation with family in Park City, Trev and I noticed an excessive amount of dead flies on the window sills in our apartment. Since that day the amount of flies (live and dead) have grown to a disgusting amount. We knew we had a fly infestation somewhere but could not find the source. We spent the next few days deep cleaning EVERYTHING! Trevor even crawled under our apartment with a flashlight to see if something had died in the open space. One particular afternoon Jonny watched as I killed eleven flies, that's right, eleven! He thought it was funny and decided to help mom by picking up his shoe and hitting the window and walls with it.
On Saturday we spent the morning packing (we're moving, I'll explain later)and as I was throwing out a large amount of plastic bags I noticed several flies appearing from a small tucked away space in the kitchen. I stopped immediately and let Trevor take over. He found the source. A rotten potato had been sitting there for, who knows how long, and attracted the flies who decided to make it their home. Because I was so disgusted (and didn't want Jonny to be exposed to any fly diseases) the two of us left to go visit a friend and waited till Trevor got rid of the problem. Because I refused to look at the infestation-hundreds of tiny fly larvae, Trevor decided to video record the entire thing. (I am too embarrassed to post it, plus, I will save you all from gagging up this morning's breakfast.)
In the end, the problem has been fixed. I think I have seen only one left-over fly this morning (good sign). Our house is extremely clean, I promise. And no one has been diagnosed with any dirty fly disease.
Monday, August 4, 2008
Go ahead, Judge!
About a week ago, having returned from our week vacation with family in Park City, Trev and I noticed an excessive amount of dead flies on the window sills in our apartment. Since that day the amount of flies (live and dead) have grown to a disgusting amount. We knew we had a fly infestation somewhere but could not find the source. We spent the next few days deep cleaning EVERYTHING! Trevor even crawled under our apartment with a flashlight to see if something had died in the open space. One particular afternoon Jonny watched as I killed eleven flies, that's right, eleven! He thought it was funny and decided to help mom by picking up his shoe and hitting the window and walls with it.
On Saturday we spent the morning packing (we're moving, I'll explain later)and as I was throwing out a large amount of plastic bags I noticed several flies appearing from a small tucked away space in the kitchen. I stopped immediately and let Trevor take over. He found the source. A rotten potato had been sitting there for, who knows how long, and attracted the flies who decided to make it their home. Because I was so disgusted (and didn't want Jonny to be exposed to any fly diseases) the two of us left to go visit a friend and waited till Trevor got rid of the problem. Because I refused to look at the infestation-hundreds of tiny fly larvae, Trevor decided to video record the entire thing. (I am too embarrassed to post it, plus, I will save you all from gagging up this morning's breakfast.)
In the end, the problem has been fixed. I think I have seen only one left-over fly this morning (good sign). Our house is extremely clean, I promise. And no one has been diagnosed with any dirty fly disease.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Well, I'm glad you found the stinky culprit! Actually we had a yucky smell around our kitchen/dining area a few months ago and I couldn't figure out what or where it was! I finally found it and it was a rotten potato in the very back bottom of our closet. Those darn potatoes! They are good hiders sometimes!
I would probably leave too--- yuck. Sorry about that. Plus, a double gag being pregnant.
Don't you worry, we've definetly had a rotten potato or 2 in our kitchen too! I hate it when you can't find the source of anasty smell oir something, it drives me crazy!
ya, i had that problem once, too....i wanna see the video! you should post it, it would be hilariously funny...or upload it onto youTube! and what's the deal w/ moving so quickly...b/c of the flies or what?
Oh my gosh! That is terrible!!! WHERE are you guys moving to? I hope it's WEst Tisbury! Can I help???
Hey Michelle! I stumbled here through some other BYU-I blog pages. You guys look really great! Rotten potatoes are THE WORST. I'm glad you got rid of the problem; I would have left too!
it amazes me how stinky and gross a potato can get if left alone for a while, i mean it is pretty much just starch right? I always say better a fly infestation than a rat infestation, right?
This made me laugh...I got back from Utah yesterday, and Doug told me there's been tons of fruit flies. So I cleaned out our "food storage" area just now (Doug's closet) and discovered a whole BAG of rotten potatoes, with flies everywhere. Doug's disposing those for me right now....SICK! I'm glad that you found the source, and no worries--it happens to us all. :)
Post a Comment