Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lessons Learned from my Previous Pregnancy

* Always leave a stash of soda crackers and fruit snacks on the night stand near the bed to avoid 4 am runs to the toilet. * When I feel like I'm about to 'toss my cookies', first response should be: don't move!(This really works for me.) * Milk the, "It's because I'm pregnant" excuse for all it's worth. * Buy the expensive, soft toilet paper for all those hundreds of daily bathroom trips. * Make sure to stretch before going to bed and after waking up; unless I'm going for the 'granny with a broken hip' look. * When someone starts to describe a delivery horror story, excuse myself immediately. * Do not attempt cartwheels or roundoffs when eight months pregnant. * If I'm swimming in a lake while 8 months pregnant and start to run out of breath and panic because I think I might drown, remember that I've got the best buoy attached to my belly. I can float my way back to shore. * Change my look every few months (whether by haristyle, makeup, or wardrobe) in order to distract me from the weight gain. * Do not discuss baby names with people until a decision has been made. (Especially if you already have a son named Jonny and would love to have another little boy named Cash.) * If the Epidural isn't working like it should, it's all right to say something. * Make it clear to the nurses that I DO NOT want a mirror within 10 feet of me during labor. * When the nurse tells you "You're hyperventalating," that doesn't mean breathe heavier and faster. * When the doctor says that I will feel a little pressure, what he really means is, what I'm about to feel is A LOT OF PAIN! * After baby arrives, there is no rush in jumping back in to reality. It's alright to miss more than one Sunday of church. (even if you're the Relief Society President, right Misti?) * Enjoy the experience and remember that from it comes a miracle and blessing that is indescribable.

12 comments:

Halsey said...

Hey Michelle! These were super funny. I just saw your old post about a photographer and I can recommend Carly Carlson in IF. She did our engagements and is easy to work with and super good. Say I recommended you and she might give you a good deal. Anyway, you can check out her stuff at carlycarlson.com. Good luck with the pregnancy! :)

Tamara said...

Good ideas....should I be writing any of these for future reference?

Sharon Beesley said...

i totally agree on the toilet paper. my life has changed sinced i started to pay the extra 2 or 3 bucks for the soft stuff. i probably saved a about 20 bucks a year buying the junking toilet paper. it's just not worth it!

when is it ok to try a cartwheel? :) i think that stage of my life has sadly passed.

who's going to watch johnny while you're in the hospital?

Karen said...

These are great. I should do the stretching thing.. i totally look like I have a broken hip with my walk...but gosh, it hurts!!
O, and I am all over expensive toilet paper ;) It's amaizing how fast a roll goes. ha ha.

Michelle said...

Good question, Sharon. Jonny came so early that we weren't prepared at all. I wish Mom could be here to help when I go in to the hospital but if this baby comes unexpectedly also, it will be hard to arrange that. I haven't even thought about any of that.

Ashley Wray said...

Love them! They are all so true! But I must tell you, birthing baby #2 is SOOOOO much easier! Jonny just paved the way for the rest of your kiddos! You are too funny, hope you get feeling better!

Katherine said...

I love it, and I love the comic at the bottom! I miss game night with trevor and michelle! I need your e-mail address can you send it to me at per03009@byui.edu thanks! Hope you guys are doing well and again, We are SOOOO excited for you!
Katherine

Emily said...

I like it. Good luck with everything.

Elicia said...

I will say AMEN to all of those.

BrookeandSpence said...

I loved your pregnancy advice. I totally agree with the horror stories one, and I should have stretched more for sure. Oh and about your comment about Stone he is 1/4 Yaqui Indian, that is where he gets the brown. Spence was adopted and apparently he got all the recessive genes from his birth mom. Crazy huh? Everyone asked me in the hospital if Spence was the father. Take care, can't wait to hear if you are having a boy or girl.

Mark&Noelle Taylor said...

cool that you are expecting I am a photographer i would love to take your kidos pics I am normally $25 but since I still have your movies and you watched my kids so many times for me I will take some for free just let me know when. or just e-mail me noelle_taylor@msn.com

Sarah said...

This was hilarious. I can definitely relate. I am so excited for you & Trevor.