Thursday, January 10, 2008

Change of Callings

On Sunday Trevor was sustained and set apart as the Second Counselor in the 87th Ward Bishopric. This is a BYU-Idaho Single's Ward. The calling came as a complete surprise to the both of us. My initial feeling was that of humility, ofcourse. I felt humbled that the Lord has such confidence and faith in Trevor to call him to this position. Also that we as a couple have so much we need to work on to make sure we're living with the Spirit in our lives. My second feeling was stress, stress for Trevor who has so much on his responsibilities on his plate this semester. Then panic hit when I realized that I will have the only child in the entire Ward. And if I remember correctly, Sacrament Meetings in Single's Wards are always dead silent. Jonny is approaching the stage where he enjoys hearing himself make the loudest sqeaks and sqeals that his vocal chords will allow, especially when it's quiet. I'm sure by the end of the meeting my face will be bright red from embarrasment or I'll have spent most of the meeting out in the hallway. Now that a few days have passed and I've had some time to think, more than anything I feel grateful! Grateful for a wonderful husband who's worthy and willing to serve and gratfeul to get to know and develop relationships with the students of this Ward. P.S. If you're wondering if I've been released from my calling... not yet. Honestly, I'm hoping the change comes soon so I can attend the Single's Ward with Trevor, but until then, I'm trying to stay focused and dedicated to the 51st Ward Relief Society.

13 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like a fun challenge. :) I always loved getting to know my bishopric as a single. The ones that were young like you were so fun to get to know. I am sure it'll be a fun experience for you both. What is the bishop's name?

Amanda said...

I bet all of the singles will love your baby. Hopefully you can get to know a few of them well and then they'll want to take Johnny during sacrament meeting. That would be a nice break.

Janae said...

Wow! That's the same calling Doug had, but not that ward of course. Trevor will be able to help so many others.

I actually decided to stay in my home ward because Aubrey was going to nursery the year after Doug was called, and singles wards don't have nursery! You might want to consider staying in your ward, depending on how much longer you'll be in Rexburg. Either way, it will be fun and challenging and I'm excited for your family!

Ashley Wray said...

Wow, that will be a change for sure! Are you sad about leaving the 51st ward? Onto new things I suppose! Good luck, I'm sure all those single folks will welcome some sort of noise in sacrament meeting!

Sarah said...

Hey- my brother & sister-in-law did the same thing. The only little baby boy in the whole singles ward. But it turned out to be fun. They were out of there by the time he was ready for nursery. He'll be great of course.

adorable pearsons said...

Oh Michelle- I don't know any other couple who could take this challenge on and succeed but you two! You both will do great. Trevor did wonderfully in our past bishopric and will do just as amazing this time. I know you are a perfect R.S. President and will be greatly missed when the time comes. PS-How is the ward? the sisters? I think of them very often!

Erin said...

Hey Nielsens! We just found your blog. It's so fun reading your blog. Sounds like you have alot of your plates right now. Your little boy is sooo CUTE! So you are in Rexburg again? I thought you had moved... maybe I'm mistaken. Oh well, this is our blog www.aaronanderinkusch.blogspot.com
we would love to stay in touch!

Alynda said...

I ran into to a young man that is in the 87th ward and asked me who the new counselor was (he was traveling back to the Berg from Salt Lake and didn't get back in time for Sacrament meeting) and when I told him he exclaimed "Trevor is a STUD!" The two of them had been in a choir together at the university and he is excited about the two of you being in the ward. This will bless your lives and the students' in great ways. Besides that it means that I get to see you more frequently!

Tamara said...

Good luck with that...maybe you can get some free babysitting so you can enjoy classes. The ward will be fun, and you will love it...there'll be some drama for sure, but you'll adjust just fine!

Steph B. said...

WOW! Congratulations Trev!

Jen said...

I am so excited for you and so proud of Trevor...and you Michelle, it says a lot about you to have your husband called to the Bishopric. You guys are amazing. I hear you about the loud baby...Ellis is right there! But, the spirit still teaches even when the babies are loud! :) You guys are wonderful!

~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~Oliver~ said...

We are going to miss you though, especially with the move. I was laying in bed last night and I realized that both you and Shannon will no longer be in the ward when Brecken comes, and I thought, who is going to take care of me!? I don't know what I'm doing! So I cried for about twenty min. and then I made the executive decision that I don't care where you live your both coming back to the ward. I hope you both don't mind!

Rachelle said...

Congrats!! Makes me feel like I can't really complain about Aryn being the Elders Quorum president. Sometimes the only comfort with big things like that is to know that even though we may lack confidence our Heavenly Father knows we can handle it! Also, I am sure that the singles will love Jonny and you would be in the hallway no matter what ward you were in; this way at least the hallway is less crowded!