Wednesday, August 11, 2010

highs

We just returned from our 2+ week vacation to California. We drove down as a family, spent the weekend together and Trevor flew back out to AZ, while the boys and I spent two weeks in San Jose. Even though we missed Trev tons, we had so much fun with my family. There is nothing that beats spending time with my mom (and my dad, sis, bro, and sis-in-law).
Thought I'd share some of the highs of our fun family trip:

Jonny's Birthday Bash
We had a race car party with his cousins. My mom , sis, and I set up a race track in the backyard and made box cars for each kid. We played red light, green light, musical chairs, opened presents, and ate cake. It was simple and fun. I love my little 3 year old. Happy Birthday Jonny!







Sweet Retreat
I took the boys to my favorite ice cream parlor





Happy Hollow
As a child I remember spending summer days with my brothers and sister at this happy place. It is a zoo/playground/amusement park for kids. I probably had just as much fun (if not more) watching the boys play here than they did actually playing. Thanks mom for taking us!





Side note: Happy Hollow has one 'big kid' rollercoaster which Jonny barely met the height requirement. He agreed to going on even though I could tell he was nervous. Jonny didn't say a word to me while we waited in line, and on the ride he gripped on to the hand bar as tight as he could the entire time. But as soon as we got off he jumped in the air and said, "Wahoo, I did it!" 



Bounce Land
We took the boys to a new place in the mall called Bounce Land. The place is full of bounce houses with slides, ladders, mazes, and other things to jump around on. The boys loved it! 


                                
                                
Another side note: I was chatting with another mom here who asked me the ages of my three boys. After I told her their ages, her response was, "And you're wearing jewelry." I had to laugh!



Sunset Beach
When Trevor joined us on the weekend we decided to make a trip to the beach. Dean stayed home to spend time with my mom and we took the older boys. It was their first beach experience. I was so excited and they absolutely loved it: the sand in their toes, mouth, and ears; the freezing ocean water; the sand dollars, seaweed, and sand crabs,... everything! Jonny has been talking about the beach ever since.




Side note: The boys each reacted to the ocean as I expected. Zach ran straight for the water and did not stop his attempts of diving straight in to each wave the entire time we were there. He's our fearless son! Jonny also ran straight for the water. But once he felt the tide pull his feet from under him, he wanted nothing to do with the ocean. We convinced him to try again and as the day went on he became more and more brave and inched his way further and further into the ocean. Such a cautious little boy! It's so fun to see the different personalities of our children.

Some other highs: 
  • Attended a wonderful Family Reunion in Manteca, CA 
  • Spent a day at the Farm with Sharon (sis-in-law) and her three kids
  • Had an unexpected visit from Trev's parents who had flown in to the area (from Virginia) on business and spent a few hours with the boys and me.
  • Played at Cahalan Park 
  • Swam at the Swim Club
  • BBQ'd with family
  • Had a Tea Party
  • Visited with my best friends (Kelly and Bille)
  • Had over $2,000 in dental work done basically free of charge (HUGE BLESSING)
  • Shopped, played games, and ate tons

I have to admit, there was a huge low that happened on the trip:

Zach and I took a trip to the ER one Sunday morning. He had a high fever for a few days and broke out in a terrible rash. I thought it was chicken pox but the Doc diagnosed him with Fifth Disease (also referred to as Slap Cheek Syndrome). It is a viral infection that spreads through the body in the form of a rash. Take a look (the pictures don't do it justice)




We had a wonderful visit. I could ramble on for days about how wonderful it was to be with family. The boys could not have enjoyed themselves anymore and I was so grateful for the company and help. It was just what I needed . Being back home (in Mesa) now, I feel refreshed and re-energized to face life. I can do this! I've already set some goals and made lists of projects and plans.
What a wonderful trip!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

So glad that you were able to so much! And spend so much time with family. So jealous with the beach!! (I want to go so bad.) Jonny's birthday looks like it was fun. Very cute stuff all round.
Michelle, 3 kids is hard HARD. I don't know about you, but I just keep telling myself that I just need to survive the next 2 years... hopefully with a bit of grace!

Michelle said...

Oh Shannon... I wish we were neighbors right now more than ever. We need each other to survive these next few years. It is really hard! I have had to do some serious soul digging and have spent a lot of time on my knees. I have to keep on reminding myself that they grow so fast and to savor these days with them so young and innocent although some days seem to drag on. We can do it! I'll call you soon!

Peter and Amber said...

How fun! And I love Sweet Retreat...I don't go there enough and we live a lot closer than you do! :-)

Rachael said...

I loved the pics with the kids in the cardboard "cars". Adorable! I'm sorry to hear about your son, Zach. I hope he has recovered! Glad you had such a nice time with your family!

Karen said...

What a fun time!!! I am glad you've had some highs after those terrible lows. You are such a cute mom!