Monday, May 3, 2010
birth story
My contractions started early Tuesday morning (12/1 am). I was aware of them but didn't pay much attention to their regularity. Around 4am they were coming every three or four minutes. I got out of bed, packed my bag for the hospital, picked up the toys in the front room, and waited impatiently for Trev and the boys to wake up. At 6 am every one was awake and I told Trev that I was in labor. He took care of the boys while I took a long shower before leaving.
I drove myself to the Hospital (which I've been reprimanded by some for having done so) while Trevor tried desperately to find someone to watch the boys. I arrived at the Hospital around 7 am stopping every few minutes on my way to the labor and delivery wing, breathing through contractions. I was dilated to a five and admitted into a delivery room. Meanwhile Trevor had gotten a hold of his sister, dropped the boys off at her house, and joined me in the hospital room at 9 am. Before he arrived I was asked several times if any one was with me or would be joining me. The question did make me feel a bit anxious that maybe he wouldn't make it by the time I delivered. I worried for no reason. When Trev got there I was dilated to a seven and already hooked up to an epidural. (For some reason I felt nervous not having him with me while I receive the epidural, but the nurse assisting me was wonderful. She talked me through it while rubbing my shoulder the whole time. I was so grateful for her.) The next two hours seemed to drag on and the pressure/pain of each contraction seemed to intensify. (I know what you're thinking, what am I complaining about, I had an epidural. In all three of my labors I've never experienced the complete numbness women describe after receiving the injection. I am always still very aware of each contraction and have to breathe through each one. This is not to say that the epidural doesn't work for me... it definitely takes a lot of the edge off the pain. But I still feel quite a bit, which is just fine.)
By 11:30 the urge to push came. The nurse called in my doctor and after one push, little Dean made his entrance into the world. One push! Crazy, I know. They immediately lay him on my stomach and Trevor cut the cord. I first noticed his dark curly head of hair (both Jonny and Zach had blonde hair) Trevor pointed out the dimple in his right cheek and we both kind of giggled/cried at the miracle of another healthy, beautiful baby boy.
I have already fallen in love with sweet little Dean. He is just perfect. Trevor has done a wonderful job of playing Mr. Mom, while at the same time juggling work and church responsibilities. While I was in the hospital, resting and recovering, I felt anxious about not being with my other boys. Now that I am home I feel much happier and calm, and I'm enjoying this time to bond with Dean and stay at home with my family. Life is wonderful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Um, yeah, maybe driving your self was a bit wild... but what else could you do?! So glad everything went well.
And you're right, Dean looks like a Nielsen! Wonder how long the dark hair is going to last.
Congrats!! He is darling and looks just like your other boys! I'm so happy for you guys!!
I am falling in love with the name you chose! It's so beautiful! I'm so glad the delivery went well and that you seem to be doing okay.
I remember a quote you read to us in the MTC one evening when we were in the dorms from President Hinckley (I think) about the women raising the priesthood army who will usher in the coming of the Savior. I always think of that little "army" you are raising and how beautiful your testimony is. (Do you happen to have that quote somewhere by the way?) You are AMAZING!
Wow!I am glad all work out well with the delivery. He is adorable!....just wondering if we could bring in dinner for you guys this week?
Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! I love the name,(my third son, Jacob's middle name is Dean after my grandfather). Oh, and ONE push?..Amazing!!!
He is SOOO handsome! what a story!!! I can't believe you drove yourself to the hospital! You are so strong to not wake Trevor up in the middle of the night while having contractions. I am glad everything went well and that you're home enjoying the new life! Congrats! O, and 1 push! That's great!
Amazing amazing amazing! What a miracle all of it is!:) Congratulations again you guys.
Congratulations Michelle!!! Oh my goodness, you are super mommy!!! Please, PLEASE, please let me know if if and when I can watch at least one of the boys for you. I'm sure Elsie would love to have Zach come over and play with her so that you can get some rest. My number is, 480-252-2386. I know you will have many Dr. appt. coming up so let me know if you need me to watch them for you.
Wow. You are my hero! The third little Nielsen to enter the family. What a miracle! I'm so happy for you.
LOVE the pic. I love newborn babies so much!
Post a Comment