Friday, April 9, 2010

trip to the grocery store

  • Dress the boys
  • Pack the diaper bag
  • Head downstairs and load up the boys in our sun blazing two-door Honda. (note to self: never purchase a black vehicle while living in the heat of Arizona. Also, buckling up two little ones in the backseat of a two-door car while being 37 weeks pregnant is not recommended)
  • Arrive at grocery store to discover you've forgotten you're grocery list
  • Give in to a persistent two year old who is begging to walk beside the cart instead of ride in it
  • Begin shopping while reminding two year old to stay near Mommy every 30 seconds
  • Pick up a dozen Gala Apples that were knocked over by someone (no name mentioned) and spilled on the ground
  • Search for two year old who has now escaped from Mom's side during the clean up
  • Hoist screaming squirmy two year old into the half full cart
  • Silence squawking one year old with graham crackers
  • Clean up graham cracker mess from hands, clothes, and cart handle
  • Take bladder full two year old to the bathroom with a half full cart while keeping one year old from splashing in the toilet water or climbing under the stalls
  • Make way back through isles of store while reshelfing unwanted items from cart which were loaded by overly helping hands
  • Attempt to check out (most exhausting part of all) Wait (im)patiently while two year old places each item on the check out belt, including heavy gallons of milk and basket of opened strawberries. Entertain one year old who tries desperately to climb out of the basket seat of the cart.
  • Exit grocery store with one year old on hip and two year old jumping up and down in cart.
  • Load grocery bags and tired boys in to the fiery furnace (aka: car)
  • Sing Wheels On the Bus a dozen times on car ride home to keep boys from falling asleep and then refusing to take their naps after lunch
  • Unload boys and haul upstairs into apartment
  • Lecture boys about staying in the house while Mom grabs the groceries out of the car
  • Frantically make three or four trips up and down the stairs with arms full of groceries, hoping that boys listened and are not playing on the cemented stairs outside the apartment.
  • Collapse from exhaustion
I wish I could say this will be my last grocery shopping trip while I'm pregnant. It's annoying that a simple task has become so physically draining. My energy level has plummeted. Can't wait for this little one to make his debut and join us on our insane grocery shopping extravaganzas. Three little ones in one cart... is it possible?

5 comments:

Ainsley said...

some Desert advice... get your car windows tinted. we just recently did it and WOW. it makes a huge difference and cost less that $200.

Sarah said...

Oh man, I totally feel for you. I didn't want to go anywhere with one! I cannot imagine tackling two. And now that I have two, (and more energy) I like to go at night after Daddy gets home. Much easier. You can do it, ETTE!

Becky Smith said...

Oh my! All i have to say is that you are one brave woman for even attempting (let alone completing) such a task at this point in your pregnancy! You are amazing michelle and my only word of advice is either make your husband do the shopping for awhile or go after bed time by yourself! Hang in there! I hope all is going well!

Karen said...

I have a hard enough time shopping with Rees. I've recently decided not to do it without Tyler. Three cheers for you for trying...even if it was a nightmare in the end. What is it about checking out that makes it the worst part? Rees hates that part too. Good luck with the next couple of weeks!

Tracy Haws said...

The Bjorn is a life saver! I'll strap on the baby, put the 2 year old in the seat and the 4 year old in the basket and use every inch of the cart to load up. ;)

You're gonna do great Michelle and I have no doubt about it. You are an amazing woman and mother and I'm so excited for your little guy to arrive...even more excited because we're coming out to the Phoenix/Mesa area this summer and I'm hoping we'll get to meet said little guy(s).