Friday, April 23, 2010

letters: part one

Dear Jonny,

You are my little man. I wish I could capture and bottle up your little personality right now and not allow you to grow any more. There is so much to love about you, yet it seems impossible to list all the reasons why.

Here are just a few:
  • Your love/hate relationship with invisible tigers.
  • Your desire to read book after book to grandma and  papa over the internet.
  • Your obsession with cleanliness (that you will not set foot in a bath tub until all "floaties" have been removed, or that you refuse to finish a plate of food until each crumb or spill that has fallen off is wiped up.)
  • The sweet tone of voice you use when trying to teach your younger brother to share, and when he does, your encouraging praise of, "good job, Zachy."
  • Your determination to hold Zach's hand while driving in the car.
  • Your love of Primary songs, some of your favorites being I Love to See the TempleSearch Ponder and PrayBook of Mormon Stories, and "Rainbow Song" aka When I am Baptized. One particular night you had woken up crying. When I went in to ask what was wrong you looked up at me and said, "pemple (temple) song." By the time I had finished singing you had calmed down, closed your eyes, said, "Night mommy" and fell back asleep. Even at such a young age you understand the peace that music can bring to us.
  • Your incredible athletic ability where shooting hoops or batting a ball come so naturally.
  • Your ability to laugh at yourself.
  • Your eagerness to apologize, kiss and make up when something has happened.
  • Your sensitivity and comprehension of important things. Last night during our family prayer you interrupted me three times with a whispered reminder to tell Heavenly Father how much we love Him. After I said, "Father, we love thee," again you interjected by saying, "no mommy, say we love thee soooooo much."

I could go on.

Jonny, if there is anything that I hope to teach you as a mother it is how to recognize and utilize the Holy Ghost throughout your life. Know that no matter how many times I try to convince you that "mom knows what's best", ultimately it is by the spirit that "ye may know the truth of all things."  Life will deliver you challenges and disappointments, but if you will remain worthy of the Spirit's promptings and rely on His guidance, you will never be lead astray.

I love you more than I can say. I learn from you each day. I am so happy to be your mom. Please be patient with me as I do my best to raise and nurture you. And even though I can't stop you from growing up, remember that no matter the age or stage of life you are in, you will always be my little man.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~Oliver~ said...

isnt that baby here yet?! i keep wanting to call and then thinking she is probably with a new baby. . .then i check your blog. . .and . . .NOPE. . .

Michelle said...

Brit, not yet! I will definitely let you know when this little boy arrives.