Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Need to Vent!
Here's the truth. My son is out of control and I'm not sure what to do.
Issue #1: We can't get him to stop biting. We've been dealing with this for about 6 months now and he doesn't understand. He will bite so hard that we bleed. We've tried everything (including flicking his mouth, telling him 'NO', showing him through emotion that it hurts. Trevor even bit him back one time.) One particular time I flicked his mouth and told him, "no" and he laughed. Is he too young to understand? Will he eventually grow out of this phase?
Issue #2: I am having the hardest time getting him on a sleeping schedule. For the past four nights he's deided that 5 am is wake up time. Then he doesn't want to sleep during the day and by the time 7 pm rolls around he's so exhausted he can't keep his eyes open. Often he'll sleep for about 15 minutes, poop, then scream till I come and change him. Then refuses to go back to sleep. Since he was young I have always let him cry himself to sleep, but now he will stand in his crib and scream for an hour or bang his head or feet on the side of his crib while lying down. We've tried keeping him up later, thinking he'll sleep in more. I've tried scheduled naps where I put him down at a certain time everyday so it becomes a routine. I've tried rocking him, reading him stories, or singing to him before naps, hoping it will calm him down and help him fall asleep more easily. Nothings working!
Issue #3: Jonny is extremely attached to his mommy. It is so riduculous that he has to be hanging on to me every minute of the day. If I walk away and he is not physicaclly touching me, he will scream at the top of his lungs. The frustrating part is that he doesn't want to just sit on my lap he wants to walk around everywhere with me holding his hand. Lately he won't even be content with Trevor. It has to be mom! Is this normal?
Issua #4: Jonny is always crying. I honestly feel like he has spent the majority of his life cranky. I used to have excuses/ reasons for why he cried so much: 'he's teething', 'he's sick', 'it's just a phase', 'he's just extra tired', etc, etc... I have realized that this is just how he is and has been since he was an infant. Quite often we'll have an entire day spent crying. This last Sunday I woke up at 5 am to a screaming child who did not stop until 7 pm at night when he fell asleep. As you can imagine I spent the day trying to figure out what was wrong. I thought maybe he had an ear infection, maybe his molars are coming in (They're the next to come), or maybe he was just so tired. We missed church, not because of him, but because I was too emotional to go and face anyone. Honestly, these days happen quite often. Please, someone save me!
My questions:
* Should a 10 month old already be throwing tantrums on an hourly basis?
* Is he old enough to understand discipline, or even the word 'no'?
* How important is a routine? Should I not worry as much about his schedule and let him do what he wants?
* How do I keep my little boy stimulated and distracted during the day so he will forget about crying?
* Does anyone know of any good parenting books that might help?
* Is all of this normal?
* How do I keep from going insane?
PS. Just need to add that I love Jonny more than anything. Although few and far between, he does have his happy moments. I am so grateful for him, I'm just feeling lost as to what I should be doing to help him right now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Oh Michelle, I feel your pain. My first question, are you still nursing? If you are, I would say that now is a good time to stop. This could help with the attachment issue.
I wish I had answers to your questions, but I don't. The part that sucks the most is that every baby is so different, so there's not any clear-cut answer. I would definitely talk to your pediatrician about all of your concerns. If he/she doesn't give you answers that you feel satisfied with, I'd try talking to another doctor.
I truly believe in schedules. I think routine can help a baby more than we know. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks to actually get the routine down, especially if he hasn't had a set routine for awhile. Whether it makes a big difference or not, I'd keep him on a schedule. Make sure it fits your needs too. Try to allow time for you to relax and rest. You need it.
I don't know if you'd feel comfortable with this, but I have a friend who has a son very much like Jonny. We were in England together. He's the same age as Jonny. Her name is Vanessa and you could find her blog through mine. I know she wouldn't mind if you asked her some questions. I can send you her email address if you like. She might have some ideas for you.
Clark says you should take a long weekend and come down here and stay with us. You could bring Jonny and we could help watch him while you had a little more time for yourself. Being around my boys might be a fun thing for him. It also might help him get used to other people for more than a day at a time. We'd love to have you if you'd like to come. There are also plenty of people here to help and to visit with. Beckie & fam, Paula, Karen & Tyler, Renee & fam, Jeff & Courtney, and of course, us. What do you think? The invitation's open for any time.
Good luck! Being a mother is the hardest job in the world. And at this age it's not very rewarding. I promise it gets better. (Not that you don't love it, it's just hard. All of us moms can truly empathize.) We'll be thinking about you.
Hi Michelle! Warning: really preachy. Here's some tips:
1. I remember having a lot of the same problems with Ella. Particularly the "walking around and holding" situation you're experiencing with Johnny. Now with the boys, I have a test to see if they are tired: If they start to get clinging and crying the second I start to put them on the ground (you know what I'm talking about, they can sense you're about to put them down the the tears start up even before they are put on the floor) it means one thing: nap time! if Owen/Oscar want to be held constantly, they are over tired. So I put them to bed.
2. I was completely under estimating the amount of sleep Ella needed. Things I do differently with the boys is that I stay home a lot (I know it seems like I got out a lot, but trust me the trips I go on last less then 1.5 hours) and I only let them sleep in their beds. If they fall asleep in the carseats on a short trip to the grocery store, I use that a a gauge that they are not getting enough sleep and adjust my plans, I have even turned the car around and canceled my trip so that all the kids take good solid naps in the house. I brake the rules on special occasions (I'm not crazy) but I stick to the schedule quit closely. That leads me the the next point.
3. Schedules. I had know idea what I should do in regards to a schedule with Ella and I thought schedules were stupid. It wasn't until she was 18 months old that I finally got her on one and I have seen huge improvements in her temperament. Here's the schedule I stick to with the boys:
5am-6am=Wake Up, eat 8 oz formula
7am=Eat 6oz oatmeal cereal and 2 jars of veggies
7:30am=Bath
8ish=Morning Nap
10ish=Wake Up
11:30=6 oz Formula
12pm=Nap for everyone (including me and Ella!)
1:30pm=Boys Wake Up
3:30=6 oz Formula
4ish=Optional nap for boys (use the put down test)
5pm=Wake Up
5:30=Rice Cereal
6:30ish=Bedtime
Total amount of sleep: around 15.5 hrs!! Crazy, huh?! But it's totally within the normal range.
4. Sunday's are crazy. Things I do to get through the day: Put them down for a morning nap a 8am even though we leave the house at 8:30am and they only get 30 minutes. It helps. Other times, I have gone home after the sacrament so the boys would still get a solid morning nap while Rob and Ella stay at church. Sometimes, I just stick it out through church. When this happens, I don't plan anything on Mondays (and sometimes even keep Tuesdays really mellow) because I try to catch up on Sunday's lack of sleep. Sunday throws things off and so it takes a few days to get the kids back. By Wednesday, everyone's back to normal and we start the process over again.
4. I know you've read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Mark Weissbluth. That book made my thoughts on sleep change (even for myself). It convinced me to give Ella a schedule. Don't get me wrong, I think the book is organized horribly, and is so hard to follow, and because of the lack of organization I think it's rubbish.
5. It took months to get Ella on a schedule after not having one for 18months, and it took the boys a 3 months to get on a schedule (I stayed home so much during those months that I potty trained Ella). It will take a lot of tears. One tip that book recommended that helped me was this: Nap times: let them cry it out for an hour, then try to put them down again during the next nap time (say try 8am, cry for an hour, then try again at 12pm). As far as bedtime goes:unlimited crying it out. have them cry it out for all night long. Of course, change a poopy diaper, but other than that let them cry cry cry. Try putting him down at 6pm and shut the door! It is sooo hard to do this in an apartment complex, I remember the guilt I had with Ella was tremendous, but I just avoided eye contact with my neighbors and moved to a new place each year! Ha.
I know this is sooooo preachy, but I figured you wouldn't mind since you ask. My answer to everything is sleep. Even for adults.
One final thing: I love you. It's so hard/boring/crazy trying to make kids happy. I'm sure Johnny loves you to bits. He couldn't have better parents. I'm ready for a vacation whenever you are. I need a girls weekend desperately. Whenever you want to do it, I'm game. Rob owes me one
Oh, Shelly!! It is rough sometimes and I had many similar experiences with Aiden. I would suggest sticking to a schedule, but get outside on walks, little trips as much as possible. Even if Jonny is cranky, the time out will help YOU, and that is most important in your mental sanity. Going on walks in the stroller, cold or hot days, helped me so much.
Second, is he allergic to something you are giving him? Rice cereal, veggie, a formula?
Third, talk to your pedatrician, they might have suggestions or be able to refer you to a specialist for more ideas.
More then likely, he will outgrow the crankiness, but don't second guess your instincts or what is causing him to be uncomfortable.
Good Luck, stay strong, this to will pass.
Love
Danielle
Michelle, sounds like no fun at all! It so frustrating when you can't quite figure out what they need. I would definetly say that a schedule is heaven sent and will make the world of differences. Even if you have to just let him cry it out at naptime/bedtime, being consistant will pay off after a week!
I would definetly talk to your Dr and see what he suggests. Every baby is so different! Good luck and let us know what works!
Michelle, first off, I have to say thank you for posting this! It is nice to know that I'm not the only one that goes through crazy challenges with the kids, wondering if I'm doing the right things and how to make them happy. I'm no expert, but here's my two cents (this is gonna be long, soo sorry):
* Should a 10 month old already be throwing tantrums on an hourly basis? I'd say if this is happening there must be a reason for it. Are you breastfeeding? Is he getting enough to eat? Generally I've found it's because they're not eating or sleeping enough, or they're sick.
* Is he old enough to understand discipline, or even the word 'no'?
My guess is probably not. But it also depends on the kid. Zach looks at me when I say no, but that doesn't make him stop getting into trouble. :)
* How important is a routine? Should I not worry as much about his schedule and let him do what he wants?
I've tried both here. With Aubrey, I was determined to get her on a schedule since I was still in school. She's pretty mild tempered, and I had NOO idea how spoiled I was. It worked extremely well for her.
With Zach, I've been home more, so I was a bit more laid back with his and her routine for a while. That resulted in chaos!! Aubrey started trying to get out of going to bed,and taking advantage of me giving in to her. So then I did demand feeding for Zach a while because he was always crying, and I realized he wasn't getting enough to eat. That made me feel like I couldn't go anywhere cuz I never knew if he'd be happy or not. When I started giving him more solids (and he figured out how to EAT them) plus more nursings, he was a much happier baby, but still wasn't sleeping regularly. SO, I resorted to going back to a fairly strict routine that I was sure would keep him satisfied. When I stay home a LOT, and keep him on it, it works WELL. That way, I know when I have those small slits of time to go out places--keeping us all happy.
I'm the type that always wants to go out, so I sometimes mess it up. If that happens, I realize my mistake and don't do as much the next few days. It's hard, but I've found that schedules--and most importantly, routines--REALLY help keep kids (and moms) happy!
* How do I keep my little boy stimulated and distracted during the day so he will forget about crying? Try gradually figuring out a routine that works for him.
* Does anyone know of any good parenting books that might help? My ultimate favorite right now is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Weissbluth. I really agree with his style and schedule.
* Is all of this normal? I think so--all of us go through times where we have NO idea what we're doing raising kids. :)
* How do I keep from going insane? PRAY! And have you thought about getting a blessing? Also, about giving Jonny a blessing? All the suggestions above were great too--check with your doctor to make sure he really is healthy and has no major illnesses, etc. I'm thinking of you. Having kids really is the most challenging yet rewarding thing, isn't it?
Hey Michelle, being a mom can be tough because you just don't know what to do! I know I don't have that much experience at all and don't know all that much, but I would talk to your pediatrician. Maybe he's not getting enough to eat. Or maybe he's not getting enough sleep. I don't think Kason was getting enough sleep when he was younger. When we let him cry to sleep he cried for 1 1/2 hours the first few times. And it took 2 weeks to get better. Personally, I think schedules are good, but I also think they can be pushed too hard. I saw some of the other books people had listed. I don't know if you've ever heard of La Leche League. They are a nursing group, but they have information on all baby questions. You can look them up on the internet, and call the lady for Rexburg and ask to read some of the books they have. Hang in there!
Thank you, thank you everyone! Wow! I feel better knowing that other moms relate. I appreciate all the advice. I will let you know what helps. I love each of you!
PS- Today was better than yesterday! Thank you for the prayers!
As you can tell from all the comments you are NOT alone! With both Kennadee and Garrett I have noticed that around this age these things happen. It seems to be the age that you have to push them more for a schedule (not that you don't before) and if you haven't already now you have to have them cry it out. I ditto pretty much what everyone else has said. Motherhood is the hardest thing ever and it is 24/7! With the clingyness (both my kids have been!) sometimes you just have to put them where they are safe and have something that can entertain them (if they stop crying) and just leave it. It is so hard and so taxing on your sanity, but they will get it. Crying it out at this age is so hard...harder then when they are really little I think!...but, just think "A week of hell a lifetime of heaven!!" and it really is. We are just over the bad 1-2 weeks of crying it out with Garrett. Just keep reminding yourself that it is worth it. I really do think that schedules are hard to get moving at first but are SOOOO worth it. I say read A LOT; take A LOT of advice and determine what works for you, your family, your lifestyle, etc and apply it to your parenting style. There are not clear cut answers, so you have to apply what works for you and for each kid. There are a ton of things that worked for Kennadee and do not at all for Garrett! I hope that he will cheer up for you...Kennadee was a crankier baby too! Not quite as bad as what your little guy seems to be though. For sure talk to your doctor and when all else fails just remind yourself that this too shall pass. My mom always tells me that and lately things here have been really hard and crazy and that is the only comfort I can seem to find! This too shall pass and know that Heavely Father knows how strong you are would not give you something you couldn't handle. Even if you don't think you can, have faith and know you can. You are one of the most faithful people I know and I know that can help you though. I have never prayed so much and so sincerely as I have since I have had kids! I know I have been blessed too otherwise I would be in the nut house! Also, remember a happy mom makes for happy kids and if that means a cranky kid for a bit to make a happier mom than it is worth it!
PS - If you do come to UT let me know...well if you do by June 14th that is, that is when we are heading for the big move to WA!
wow, you should totally put a book together with all of this wonderful advise from everyone- then sell it and use the profits for a well earned Mother-alone-shopping trip:)! First off, you are a MOM for sure. Everything I just read sounds quite normal to me. Secondly, above all the wondeful advice you receive remember that you are an 'earthly' mom (extremely important) but your sweet baby also has Heavenly parents that also care for his well being and yours- they will help. Don't doubt yourself. You know your little guy better than anyone else. You've made it 10 months, right? So give yourself some major credit. As far as your questions- I remember specifically asking the doctor if it was Bostyn's personality to be cranky or just a phase...and trust me, most likely a phase. It's funny to me now- but it was not funny then. It is so exhausting to have a fussy baby day after day. I am also a schedule follower. I feel like they save my sanity as well as help for a well-rested child. There are lots of options out there as far as how to go about getting your child on a schedule- I say to go with what best suits your personality. Personally, I have the hardest time letting my little ones cry it out. So I will let them cry for a certain time and then I need a new game plan. However, I do need a schedule and I really stick to it. My girls are in bed by 7pm and up by 7am almost everyday. Also remember that little Jonny really has only had 10 months to figure out this whole new world. In that time- think of all of the changes he has gone through (roll over, cooing, teeth, feeding, crawling, ect.)- in those achievements also come frustrations, I am sure. But over-all- YOU CAN DO IT, you already are. Definitely let yourself vent when you need to- eat some chocolate- go for a run (maybe while Trevor is home and your testing out the cry it out thing); whatever you need to do to take care of you. You are so busy taking care of 2 boys that your needs are most likely getting left behind! You are a great mom, a wonderful person & you're doing the most important work.
ps-feel free to copy and past all of the above when I vent on my bad days :)
Michelle, there are a lot of good comments on here, so I'll not add much of my expertise-just kidding. I am no expert and just trying to figure things out. It is hard and frustrating, I really do feel for you! I have gone through similar things with Kade, but I think one thing for myself to remember is to know that I am trying to be a good mom and I am doing everything I can. And sometimes you can try everything and it doesn's seem to make much of a difference, but don't blame yourself for this. Somedays I think that Kade will be in his certain stage forever, then one day it clicks and things change. Sometimes I look at other kids and they seem like they are so well behaved and happy and...whatever, but I also think that most likely, their kid isn't as perfect as they seem. I agree with Misti in that you should do something that fits YOUR personality. And if a strict schedule doesn't fit your personality or his-don't do it. Actually, as far as the attachment issue-I feel a little relieved that Kade is not the only one so attached to his parents! (He sometimes bursts out crying when a stranger says hi to him!)
Shelly, I wish I had some good advice to give you but I have no experiencce with kids. I will say that Johnny is lucky to have such a patient loving mom. Good luck, love you.
Bille- from Sharon's computer
Hey my beautiful friend! I don't have any advice, I just wanted to remind you what a great mom you, and tell you that your doing a great job! You really are, don't forget that! I look up to and admire you so much! Thank you for your strength!
I love you!
Shelly - you are a great mom. I can only think that this is a trial for you, but I'm glad you are being honest and asking for help...I believe that is something both of us lack, and it is certianly hard to do. I admire your courage and your strength. Just think how much patience you are learning, and Johnny is so blessed to have you for a mother. I do believe that schedules are a good thing, and that if you want them to eventually sleep at night, you have to let them cry it out (for however long it takes). When I was a nanny for my brother, my nephew was a year old, and he cried for 2 1/2 hours the first night, 45 minutes the second, and the third night...after 5 minutes he was quiet in bed. He didn't go to sleep, but he knew it was bedtime and that I wasn't coming back. Some food for thought. I love you, and only moms know best...keep praying, and your in mine!
Michelle I've been reading this great book lately called "the secrets of the baby whisperer" It's awesome. The one I'm reading deals mainly with infants, but I know she has written one about toddlers too. I don't even know the author's name off hand. But she's all about routines, listening to your child's cues, learning what kind of child yours is etc. Anyway, I really like it.
Post a Comment