I heard about the tragedy late Saturday afternoon and immediately felt sick to my stomach. Since then I have not been able to talk or think about it without being overcome with emotion.
I served my mission in Chile, Concepcion over five years ago and left behind dozens of individuals who I consider family and love more deeply than I can express. Many of their towns and homes are now buried under water or have disintegrated into rubble. I feel so helpless not being able to communicate with them and be assured that they are safe, being cared for, with their loved ones, or even alive.
What more can I do? Chile's current President has requested no foreign aid.
I have offered countless silent and vocal prayers on their behalf, and through the sorrow and concern I have also had brief moments of such feelings: hope in the plan of our Father in Heaven; gratitude for the gospel which binds us together in this life and the next; a peace that the Lord is mindful of each of us and will not forsake or abandon his people.
"For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee..." 3 Nephi 22:10
Fuerza a mis queridos Chilenos! Que Dios les de la fuerza de superar todo lo que han pasado y seguir firme en la fe durante este tiempo. Muchos abrazos y besitos!





3 comments:
Well put, chica! Haven't heard from many...but slowly I'm receiving word. Mostly in need of water and food, in Talcahuano, Conce, and parts around there. Some missionaries are living in the church buildings. It is very shocking and disturbing. I know how you feel...I'm in the same boat. I wish we could just rush down there and help, if only even for a week. Hang in there....
I have friends that own a beachfront resort in Buchepero, Chile; we have not heard from them..although friends in Santiago have said they survived and are doing ok. It is very worrisome not being able to offer direct help. I also visited Chile 10 years ago, apprently the town I stayed in, Pichilemu has been leveled...
Don't know if either of you knew Deborah Osses from Talcuahano, but heard she is alive and staying with family members. The people are still struggling to get the basics--food, water, etc. So sad!
Post a Comment