The comments are becoming more blunt and frequent.
Just today I noticed an elderly woman staring at my (huge) belly while I played on the playground with Zach and Jonny. Without hesitation she asked, "You're having another one?" She then inquired of my boy's ages (this is the question that always comes first) to which she replied, "Honey, heaven help you."
The boys and I were on a walk around the neighborhood- Jonny on his hot wheels and Zach in the stroller. A couple in a minivan pulled over and rolled down their window to ask me if I had twin boys.
Me: "No, they're 18 months apart."
Couple: "And another on the way?"
Me: "That's right."
Couple: Silence
Me: "They're good boys," chasing after Jonny who had taken off on his three wheeler.
(Who pulls over while driving to ask questions about someone's children?)
Yesterday at the Library with the boys, a woman rested her hand on my shoulder and said, "It makes me tired just watching you"
Last Sunday another individual asked me if Jonny and Zach were twins and a few minutes later someone else said, "Now let's see, which one of your boys is the older sibling?" I am just dumbfounded when people ask such questions. To me the age gap is quite apparent.
When we initially announced we were expecting our third, I learned that relatives had discussed different types of birth control that perhaps we should try next.
I've received looks that suggest sympathy and others of disapproval. More often than not people want to offer help by loading my groceries into the car while I buckle the boys in, pushing Jonny on the swing while I shovel sand out of Zach's mouth, or entertaining my little ones in the cart while we wait in a store's checkout line.
At the end of the day I sit on my sofa- away from all spectators and outside opinions- and listen to my boys tucked in their beds laughing at one another while my belly jolts and rolls from one side to the other. It's then that I realize I wouldn't change a thing about my life. I love my little family and trust in the Father who knows perfectly when to send his little ones to us.
10 comments:
What is it with people!? I am glad that along with rude people who ask nosy questions you are running into people who can think to lend a hand.
You are an amazingly awesome person!!! I also love your little family.
Just know that there are dozen of people out there who think of you as amazing, extremely capable, and worthy of the love that only three little boys can give. I want to be like you!!!!!
Wow! Some people just don't think before they say something! I'm sorry you've been getting so many comments but you seem to be handling everything so well! You are an amazing mother!
Other people get tired watching you just because they know that they would never be able to do as good of a job as you do! You are an amazing mother and will continue to be so no matter how many children you have and how close together they are sent to your family. Who cares what other people think about the timing. But I seriously can't believe how outspoken, rude and judgmental some people can be. Your boys have the best mommy ever, they are so lucky!!!
I can't believe that people have the gall to say such things. Your boys are going to be the best of friends and will be forever grateful to you...their wonderful loving mother! You have a good attitude about it all!
I think you are pretty amazing. I just imagine all the great fun times that your boys are going to have and what good friends they will all be and the fun that 3 daughters in law will be. I love the perspective that you shared at the end about your kids in bed laughing. You are right it is wonderful!
Some people... seriously. I can't believe it. But of course, I am perfect in every way. I usually say things that I later regret as well. Thanks for your perspective, :)
Wow! Incredible what comes out of some people's mouths! I agree with the others--you have handled things marvelously and I can't think of anything more beautiful than what you have been accomplishing with your family.
Your last paragraph says it all. I think our culture is just getting more and more nosy (or less and less polite?), I remember growing up, my mom sometimes had to take all five of us to the grocery store (and this was in Georgia where multiple children weren't so common...) and *I* remember the stares and a few of the comments but I know my mom noticed more than I did. You'll probably become a pro at quick and gracious one-liner responses to those types of comments :) but always remember that they don't matter. Your babies matter. :)
Post a Comment